Penetration Testing services, often known as pentests, are becoming increasingly popular as more and more companies realize that protecting information assets is not so much an expense as an important long-term investment.
Whatever the motives of attackers - attention-seeking within the ‘underground’ scene or in the media, financial gain, industrial espionage or simple malicious intent - a company's resources are nowadays exposed to a large number of risks.
The purpose of a pentest is to investigate an information system from an attacker's perspective, identifying vulnerabilities before the real attackers do.
The advantages of using this service include
- finding vulnerabilities that can lead to system compromise
- financial loss prevention
- protecting an organization’s corporate image and maintaining its public relations
- identifying security breaches that may allow data leakage
- validating existing security measures
- protecting customers and business partners
- providing methods of remediating existing vulnerabilities
- ensuring legislation- and standards-compliance (ISO/IEC 27001, PCI DSS etc)